Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Pook Age 0 to 4

Several years ago I was noodling around with a few gadgets I acquired over the years and ended up with a few musical compositions.  Using a BOSS 8 track digital recorder and a Yamaha digital sequencer, I dubbed in a few guitar chords and some melody lines using various guitars.  These recordings were one take spontaneous experiments--no actual composing was done; I simply laid in a basic sequence or chord progression, then a melody track.

This particular track was pretty organic.  Although I lined-in an acoustic/electric Taylor 714CE in order to get a bit of chorus for the chord progression, I mic'd the melody line using a condenser mic with a little delay effect in the mixer.  I played the melody with a Taylor NS something or other--a nylon stringed classical guitar (which is my favorite because it doesn't hurt my hands to play big chords--I have some sort of affliction in my left hand that has always made it hard to hold the necessary pressure on bar chords--no matter how much I have played over the years, I have never gotten past that--big impediment that the classical set up eases tremendously due to less string tension).  The fancy equipment has all the necessary gadgetry to mix a much better recording, but requires more than an hour or so at a time to learn how to use and I have yet to invest the effort.  Some day.  In the meantime, raw is what I get.

The kids were not yet born when I made the recordings, so there is no connection.  Honestly, I have simply been trying to figure out how to post audio to this site and the only way I have found so far is to create a video.  Shows you how the world is changing, eh?  In the high school garage band days, our state of the art recordings were direct to one track cassette through a "boom box" with built in mic.  Heady days.  Its just as well, though--better technology would not have served our style and abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment